The Virtual Background feature allows you to display an image as your background during a Zoom Meeting. You can upload your own images as a virtual background.
Make sure your computer meets the system requirements for Virtual Background.
Enabling Virtual Background
Note: Users must sign out of the Zoom Desktop Client and sign back in for Virtual Backgrounds to take effect.
To enable the Virtual Background feature for your own use:
- Sign in to the Zoom web portal.
- In the navigation menu, click Settings.
- In the Meeting tab, navigate to the Virtual Background option (under the In Meeting (Advanced) section) and verify that the setting is enabled.
- If the setting is disabled, click the status toggle to enable it. If a verification dialog displays, choose Turn On to verify the change.
- If the option is grayed out, it has been locked at either the group or account level, and you will need to contact your Zoom administrator.
Using Virtual Background
- Sign in to the Zoom desktop client.
- Click your profile picture, then click Settings.
- Select Virtual Background.
Note: If you do not have the Virtual Background tab and you have enabled it on the web portal, sign out of the Zoom Desktop Client and sign in again.
- Check I have a green screen if you have a physical green screen set up. You can then click on your video to select the correct color for the green screen.
- Click on an image to select the desired virtual background or add your own image by clicking + and choosing if you want to upload an image or a video.
If prompted, click Download to download the package for virtual background without a green screen.
- Ensure that you are using a solid background color.
- After you select an option, that virtual background will display during your meetings.
- To disable Virtual Background, choose the option None.
Enabling Virtual Background during a meeting
If you have already have Virtual Background enabled in the web portal, you can turn it on during a meeting.
Zoom Desktop Client
- In a Zoom meeting, click the upward arrow (^) next to Start/Stop Video.
- Click Choose Virtual Background....
- If prompted, click Download to download the package for virtual background without a green screen.
If you are experiencing issues with Virtual Background, try the following troubleshooting tips:
- If you do not have the Virtual Background tab in your desktop client settings after enabling it, sign out of the client and sign in again.
- Manually pick the background color to ensure the correct color is selected. This option is only available after you click an image.
- Ensure that the background is a solid color with minimal shadows. Also ensure the background is uniform in lighting. A 3-point lighting setup is ideal.
- Ensure that your green screen color does not match your shirt or eye color.
If you continue to experience issues, contact Zoom Technical Support.